Community & Health
Ames Public Library - Check out the many online books and audio books available that you can enjoy from home!
Boys and Girls Club of Story County - Food & activity packs will be available for club members to pick up on Tuesday, March 31, & April 7 from 2:00pm - 6:00pm at the Ames Clubhouse.
City of Ames - The City of Ames administration is working directly with City departments to develop detailed plans to ensure the continuation of essential services. Any updates or changes to City functions will be shared with the public.
United Way of Story County - Community resources like utility bill help, free educational resources, restaurants offering delivery, etc.
Grab and Go Lunches
- Ames - Pick-up between 10am - 1pm Monday - Friday at the following schools:
- Meeker Elementary
- Mitchell Elementary
- Sawyer Elementary
- Ballard - Pick-up between 11:00am - 1:30pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Two meals will be provided on Monday and Wednesday, one on Friday. Children must be present. Pick-up locations include:
- Slater Fire Department: 307 Main St, Slater
- Slater Baptist Church: 601 Story St, Slater
- Cambridge Methodist Church: 215 Second St, Cambridge
- Kelley City Park, Corner of Grace St and Giddings, Kelley
- Ballard Middle School (front driveway): 509 N. Main Ave, Huxley
- Ballard Plaza: U.S. Highway 69, Huxley
- New Horizons Mobile Home Park, 511 E. First St, Huxley
- Collins-Maxwell - Pick up between 11:00 -11:45am on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Two meals will be provided on Monday and Wednesday, one on Friday. Meals may be picked up at the following schools:
- Elementary School Main Entrance
- MS/HS Athletics Entrance
- Colo-NESCO - Pick-up available on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the following locations:
- Colo MS/HS at 11:30am
- Zearing Elementary at 11:45am
- McCallsburg Daycare at 12:00pm
- Gilbert - Pick-up between 11:30am - 12:30pm in the south parking lot of the High School on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Nevada - Pick-up between 11am - 1pm at the High School Circle Drive. On Mondays, five breakfast meals and three lunch meals will be provided. On Thursdays, two additional lunch meals will be provided.
- Roland-Story - Pick-up between 11am - 1pm, Monday - Friday at the following schools:
- Roland-Story Elementary School
- Roland-Story Middle School
- Mary Greeley Medical Center
- McFarland Clinic
- NAMI Central Iowa
- ZOOM Support Group! Do you live with a mental health condition and would like support from others who also live with mental health conditions? NAMI Central Iowa is hosting 4 NAMI Connections Support Groups via ZOOM every week! If you would like to participate, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a registration form. First ZOOM Support Group is Monday at 4:30 pm.
Frequently Asked Questions:
When should I seek medical care if I'm concerned I may have COVID-19?
If you have symptoms (cough, fever, or shortness of breath) and believe you may have been exposed, please call the McFarland COVID-19 Nurse Phone Line at 515-500-6711 or Story County Medical Center at 515-382-2111.
Can I get tested for COVID-19? What are the requirements?
There are defined testing criteria, and supplies are limited. Patients with a known exposure and who have symptoms of cough, fever, or shortness of breath will be tested.
Is it safe to come the clinic? Should I cancel my routine appointments?
Our local providers and staff follow standard infection control procedures to protect patients and staff and to control infection. Notice signs at all clinic entrances direct patients with known exposure and symptoms to call the COVID-19 Nurse Phone Line.